In a place blessed with so much natural beauty, the Lençóis Maranhenses take the prize for the most spectacular.
What you need to know
- It’s not easy to get there, but it’s worth the effort. See directions below.
- Atins is a much better option to explore the lagoons than Barrerinhas. It’s much nicer and harder to get to, which means fewer tourists.
- The lagoons are not within walking distance of Atins. You will probably have to get your hotel to arrange transportation. However, during peak season, you may be able to walk to one or two lagoons.
- Best time to go is June, July. By September, most of the lagoons are dry.
- If you’re into kite surfing this place is paradise.
- Take a boat ride on the river at sunset. It’s one of the most spectacular sunsets I ever saw.
The easisest way is from São Luis to Barrerinhas to Atins.
- You can arrange a taxi or tourist car (4-5 people) right at the Sao Luis airport to take you to Barrerinhas. Don’t do this ride at night.
- You can also take a bus from Sao Luis to Barrerinhas. Four buses a day from São Luís from the Rodoviaria (bus terminal) at 06:00 AM – 08:45 AM – 02:00 PM – 07:30 PM. It takes 4-5 hours. The company is Cisne Branco. You’ll need to take a taxi from the Aiport to the Rodoviaria.
- When you get to Barrerinhas, you then have to take a boat to Atins. There is a ‘public transit’ boat that does the trip 2 times a day – people say there is only one boat at noon, but I took it later in the evening.
- The bus from Sao Luis drops you off right in front of where you take the boat to Atins.
It is also possible to get to Atins from Jericoacoara or to explore the Lencois from Santo Amaro. This site tells you how.
Other Cool Jonts around Brazil
Fernando de Noronha Island
Pristine beaches (voted the most beautiful in Brazil), turquoise waters, dolphin pods, breeding turtles, few tourists…this may be Brazil’s premiere nature reserve! Details.
This is both, the best modern art museum and the best botanical garden in Brazil. It’s not in Rio nor Sao Paulo, but in a small mining town in the state of Minas Gerais! Details.
Easter in Ouro Preto
The most colorful Easter Celebration in Brazil. You will also fall in love with the town. Details.
São Miguel dos Milagres
The most romantic beach in Brazil. Twenty-three kilometers of stunning beaches without a souvenir shop in sight. A slice of heaven on earth. Details.
SP: The Most Underrated City in the World
We may live in Rio but we love Sao Paulo – just don’t tell our carioca friends because they would kill us! While Rio is incredible photogenic and charming, Sao Paulo is incredibly cosmopolitan. Details.