To gringos, La Torta Gorda is known, not surprisingly, for their excellent tortas; Specially the pierna enchilada torta, which was named the #2 best sandwich by Food Network. But most Mexicans head over to La Torta Gorda for comfort food from the homeland, such as:
- Quesadillas de flor de calabaza (squash-blossom) and huitlacoche (corn fungus – a mexican delicacy)
- Pambazos (chorizo and potato sandwich dipped in a red sauce)
- Sopa Azteca (tortilla soup)
- Tostadas de tinga (Chipotle-spiced chicken tostadas)
- Mole verde o rojo (green or red mole)
- Verdolagas en salsa roja (purslane in red chile sause)
- Chilaquiles (try the ones with chicken)
They also have excellent fruit and vegetable juices. Our favorite is the Mañanero, which has nopales (cactus), pineapple, and orange. Their cucumber and chia agua fresca is also really good.
Address: 2833 24th St, San Francisco, CA 94110
Monday - Friday 8AM–8PM
Saturday & Sunday 9AM–4PM
La Torta Gorda is a sit-down restaurant so prices are a bit higher than at a taqueria. If you’re looking for mission-style tacos and burritos, there are a dozen taquerias down the street from La Torta Gorda.
Btw, here is the Food Network’s coverage of La Torta Gorda.