Easter in Ouro Preto is magical. Like many places in Latin America, it is celebrated with a procession recreating the Passion of Christ and other festivities throughout the week. But the highlight of the celebration is the procession on Easter Sunday when the streets are covered with colorful carpets made by the locals with natural materials (i.e., woodchips, flowers, leather remnants, etc.)
Easter in Ouro Preto Tips
- Plan to arrive the night before so you can watch the carpets being made
- Carpets start being assembled at 20:00 and continue being assembled trough the night.
- On even-numbered years the procession leaves from Igreja Nossa Senhora do Pilar and heads towards the plaza of Igreja Bom Jesus de Matosinhos
- In odd-numbered years it starts in Nossa Senhora da Conceição de Antonio Dias and heads towards Nossa Senhora do Rosário.
- Book your room in advanced.
- Avoid the tourist area by going to the areas away from Praça Tiradentes
- A trip to Ouro Preto can be combined with trips to Mariana and Tiradentes
- There are four buses daily from Belo Horizonte to Ouro Preto. Click Here
- It’s not so easy to get there with public transit from the Belo Horizonte Airport (Confins)
- The town is pretty small. You can see most of it in two days
Other Destinations In Brazil
São Miguel dos Milagres
The most serene beach experience in Brazil. Twenty-three kilometers of stunning beaches without a souvenir shop in sight. A slice of heaven on earth. Details.
Fernando de Noronha Island
Pristine beaches (voted the most beautiful in Brazil), turquoise waters, dolphin pods, breeding turtles, few tourists…this may be Brazil’s premiere nature reserve! Details.
This is both, the best modern art museum and the best botanical garden in Brazil. It’s not in Rio nor Sao Paulo, but in a small mining town in the state of Minas Gerais! Details.
Closer to Rio
The following destinations are 3-4 hours by car from Rio and can be easily visited overnight.
Brazil’s most harmonious architectural cluster of the colonial period is also a perfect base to explore the stunning beaches and idyllic islands of the Green Coast. Details.
This village, surrounded by more than 10 beaches and a lively night scene, is an easy trip only 3 hours from Rio. Details.