Bernal Heights Park is one of my favorite spots to go in the summer. It’s acutally great year-round, but the park’s windswept slopes are usually sunny when the rest of the city is being pummeled in afternoon fog. It’s a stunning view.
Getting to the top is definitely not a hike, but also not a leisurely walk. If you’re not in shape, you’ll struggle.
What you need to know
- Wear sneakers or comfortable shoes. It’s slippery even when it’s dry.
- There are several entrances. See map below.
- Dog friendly. Many of them off-leash.
- Views at night are also very nice.
- The swing is east of the telecom tower. Also, check out the Esmeralda Slide Park. See map below.
- Wear warm clothes. It’s pretty windy up there.
- There are no restrooms nearby.
4.5 stars on Yelp© (269 reviews): “feels more of a neighborhood park and attracts a lot of locals with dogs”, “I always feel very alive when i am up there”, “Surprisingly, this place is not crowded.”